Laptop to Home PC

stefan-194811 16:18 01 May 2005

Hi,

I'm a novice at networking, well never networked two comps before.
A friend is trying to back up some data on his laptop but does'nt have cd writer or no other means of backing up apart from linking it to my home pc.
I have asked him to check if he as a rj45 port and he does and so do i, i have my cable modem ethernet cable which is both the same connector on both sides of the lead (both male or female not sure).
Any way before he comes i was wondering what i have to do to swap his files on to my pc, is it just a case of copy the file and pasting it on to my hard drive, or is there more to it.

Thanks
stef

Forum Editor 18:03 01 May 2005

you can't just use any old ethernet cable - it must be a crossover type. You should be able to buy one at any decent computer store.

In normal ethernet cables the wires are connected 'straight through' that is, each wire is connected to the same Pin number at each end of the cable. There is always some confusion over crossover cables, and for the record, this is the order in which the cable conductors are connected inside the RJ45 plug - should you feel inclined to make your own. The colours quoted for each pin are those normally used, but of course you can use any colours you like - the cable doesn't know which colour is which - as long as the Pin crossover order is the same (Pins 1&2 transmit, and Pins 3&6 receive).

Here's the wiring order:-

(Pins 4,5,7,and 8 are not used).

Pin 1 at one end (orange/white) becomes Pin 3 at the other.

Pin 2 (orange) becomes Pin 6

Pin 3 (green/white) becomes Pin 1

Pin 6 (green) becomes Pin 2

01chris 18:30 01 May 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?