Laptop HDD - save to disk partition

Longhouse 21:10 28 Feb 2003

Sony Vaio PCG-F250. W98, 160 Mb RAM, 4.3 Gb HDD. Phoenix BIOS 4.0 release 6.0 version R0202K0.

I intend to replace my HDD with an Hitachi 20Gb device and do not anticipate too many problems with mechanical installation, formatting and s/ware installation. However, I can't see how to make the "save to disk" partition used when machine goes to hibernation / battery save. Fdisk reports a 170 Mb (4%) non-DOS partition (partition 2) in addition to the primary DOS partition.

When bought, the machine came with the recovery disk only and no OS or utility disk to create the required partition (CAB files look to be on the original HDD but this won't be a problem as I've bought W98SE OEM with the drive to use if all else fails!)

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks, Longhouse

howard60 22:00 28 Feb 2003

partition the hdd with a 4.5GB c:drive and extended partition for the rest. Use your recovery disk to set up on the C: drive

woodchip 22:10 28 Feb 2003

Recovery disc will not work if hardware changed

woodchip 22:12 28 Feb 2003

The only way you can do it is create a Image File with drive Image then install the disc and install the image file onto new drive

Longhouse 10:57 01 Mar 2003

Woodchip

Where do I get drive image and how is it used? Is this "cloning" the drive or making a full back-up?

Belatucadrus 11:23 01 Mar 2003

With Phoenix bios you need a utility called PHdisk to set the save to disk partition, explore the recovery or driver disks, it should be there somewhere. If not you should be able to get a copy from Sony, or do a web search. It's specific to Phoenix bios and needs to be run in DOS, but is pretty automatic when done.

Longhouse 14:34 01 Mar 2003

Belatucadrus

your a star!

Eventually found a download and now got the file on disk. Looks like I'll be playing next weekend.

(watch out for my return!)

Thanks to all

Longhouse

woodchip 21:35 01 Mar 2003

Forgot to say that you will need to create a partition with Partition Magic or if you have a CDRW you can copy direct to CD With Drive Image, both at PCworld etc

woodchip 21:37 01 Mar 2003

PS the above copy's All the drive letter, that you select including Partition

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?