Laptop HDD Recover help

Giggle n' Bits 22:09 11 Nov 2006

going to try to recovery a laptop HDD which I got the 2.5" to 3.5" IDE convertor cable so I can attach to a Desktop Motherboard.

Now the puzzle I got is when you put on a HDD which has a different set of drivers oh and XP would as soon as the boot into WinXP want to activate winXP and lock me out ? then how do I get the work of it I am locked out of the windows.

Appreciate some idiots steps to get the laptop DATA of just the My Docs files. What happend the motherboard failed in laptop and recovery of HDD was priced toooooo much.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:53 11 Nov 2006

Forget the windows XP on the laptop drive.

Set the jumper on the drive to slave and connect to desktop as a second drive. Use winows explorer on the desktop to access the drive.
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

Giggle n' Bits 01:24 12 Nov 2006

Hello thanks for the call.

Ok, will be removing the HDD Later today sunday but how do I connect it to a slave on a HDD when the adpater cable I got looks like its intended to connect to the IDE on motherboard and not to a middle connector on the IDE ribbon in a desktop, will have to put them together to understand it.

Back later and again as always F.Bat<><> your help is appreciated you never let me down yet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:58 12 Nov 2006

Ok set jumper on drive to slave position.

Switch off and unplug PC, remove side panel

Disconnect IDE cable to CD /DvD drives at motherboard.

Plug adaptor cable into secondary IDE slot on motherboard.
Plug power cable on adapot to a spare molexfrom your PSU or if no spares use the one to your CD/DVD drive.

Switch on and check BIOS will see the laptop drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?