Laptop has now a black screen, please help?

erkmatrix 21:52 04 Jan 2007

Hi my laptop seems to of gone wrong, its 2 years old and it happened today, turned it on and it appeared to load as normal, siad windows is loading the screen went black , the noise that it had loaded came on as normal just without the screen, so you can only turn it off by its standby button. Could this be fixable do you think or is a screen problem a major job, could it be the battery has gone or the battery charger gone. Appreciate any help, its a wiindows xp machine.

Cheers
Philip

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:30 04 Jan 2007

Cn you connect to an external monitor or projector?

If that works then probably invertor or backlight failed in screen.

Taff™ 06:35 05 Jan 2007

I agree with that. The only other explanation might be the screen on/off switch failing or getting stuck. These are sometimes a visible spring loaded pin protruding near the hinge which turns off the screen when you close the lid. The latest laptops have an internal wire that extends as the screen is opened and switches on the backlight.

Try rotating the screen gently from fully open (Backwards) to about 15 degrees before closed - any flickers?

Graham. 09:24 05 Jan 2007

It could simply be the brightness control. Hold down the Fn key and look for a symbol of a circle with a triangle pointing up.

erkmatrix 09:11 06 Jan 2007

Hi again, yes I tilted it right back and could see although very dark the desktop. I tried pressing in the Fn button and the screen button but it didn't turn up the brightness.

Is it a major thing or can you buy new screens or something that lights up the screen.

cheers
Phil

Graham. 09:42 06 Jan 2007

Then it's likely to be the inverter or the light tube that's failed.

Google for laptop screen repair. Here's a Dell demo click here, but of course, you will have to source the correct parts yourself.

erkmatrix 10:22 10 Jan 2007

Yeah I found its pretty conclusive the backlight thats gone as seen on some sites that what happens when it goes.

Any idea where I can buy a new backlight for a Fujitsu Amilo Pro V2010. I can't seem to find anywhere that sell these as seperates.

cheers

erkmatrix 16:22 10 Jan 2007

Will I need a new laptop then?

Phil

Technotiger 16:30 10 Jan 2007
  erkmatrix 16:45 10 Jan 2007

Anywhere over here in the UK that sells backlights and lcd screens

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 10 Jan 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?