Laptop Hardware Problems

  User-9A4921C8-CC31-4EE8-9C78BF1A44DA47C6 18:07 23 Sep 2008

I have a 2 yr old Acer Aspire 3100 laptop. About a year ago it started to play up. The first problem I noticed was the DVD player went wrong. It would only play about 10% of DVDs and the other 90% of the time click at me. This worsened to involve the 10% it did play the sound would be broken (although it wasn't a speaker issue as it played music on the hard drive fine).

Next the screen started to play up. It started to go blank. The computer still ran and performed functions ie play music etc but the screen was blank. I then discovered if you held the left hand side back of the screen it brought back the image. This worsened to get it to ever show anything on the screen you had to constantly hold the back left of the screen.

Then a few months ago it stopped turning on. I got it out today to have a look and tried turning it on, the power light and a couple of other lights next to it flashed on, nothing came up on the screen, it didn't make any noise and then a burning smell came aout 3 seconds after turning it on. About 2 seconds later a thin wispy smoke rose from around the power on button. I then quickly turned it off and removed the battery.

Is it even worth trying to get someone to have a look at it? Or is it gonna cost me just as much to get a new one? I'm guessing the smoke is a major problem that makes it not worth trying to get someone to fix it?

Thanks for the help guys.

  Baskerville 22:05 23 Sep 2008


Sounds serious and a little dangerous to me, time to phone Acer up and ask what warranty you have, don't bother to switch it on at all and power off completely from the mains or you won't sleep well in your bed.
Talk to Acer, as it's only two years old it could well be covered on a return to factory for repair.
I repeat do not turn it on again and power down and pull the plug.


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?