Laptop Harddrive full :(

jacksony 07:00 16 Jul 2005

I have a 35GB laptop and 30GB is full. How can I get more memory without buying a new laptop. I dont want to delete any of the files I already have.

Can I buy a separate bigger harddrive, and get someone to swap it with the current harddrive in the laptop?

rossol 07:07 16 Jul 2005

u could buy a external hard drive and cradle with a usb attachment and just plug it in then u would not lose anything on your hard driver

ICF 07:10 16 Jul 2005

I Little bit more info would be helpful.For starters what make and model of laptop are you talking about?

jacksony 07:17 16 Jul 2005

I dont really want an external harddrive.

The laptop is a Toshiba dynabook tx/2513cmsw

EARLR 13:05 16 Jul 2005

Short of getting a new internal HD for your laptop an external HD is your only answer. I bought a Targa Data Box 250 from LIDI for 139 eur. it works great.

bremner 13:11 16 Jul 2005

"Can I buy a separate bigger harddrive, and get someone to swap it with the current harddrive in the laptop?"

Yes

Find a small independent local shop and they will do it for a price. A 60GB 2.5" drive will set you back about £70 click here

jacksony 04:47 17 Jul 2005

Ok Thanks. So, if I buy an external harddrive is there any freeware i can use to password protect the stuff on it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:48 17 Jul 2005

Encryptors / Security:-
Easycrypto deluxe click here
Powercrypt 2000 click here
The Lock click here
Hide Folders click here
Folderlock click here

The BB 12:01 17 Jul 2005

Are you sure it is full of useful stuff?

I cleared out a couple of gig of temporary files, trial installs and duplicated files (along with incremental backups - having redone a full one). And don't forget to ZIP or compress rarely used stuff.

If you really have that much, consider if it is all needed on a laptop or whether a desktop would be a better repository and laptop a portable solution.

Apologies if this is egg sucking, but if its not asked ...

fitcher 12:09 17 Jul 2005

anything other than your system can be sent to an exterior drive then the system itself (xp) can be sent with acronois to a dvd writer drive .the reason I do this is to reduce the system size to fit on to a dvd ..win 98 can be sent to a cd writer provided it is under the cd disk size of 700mb,and with acronis you can replace everything (must be to the same pc off course )

fitcher 12:15 17 Jul 2005

to add ..my exterior hard disk is a laptop 60gb that could be taken out of its case..and used in my own laptop . if needed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?