Laptop harddisk

Sin 12:58 07 Feb 2006

Hi there,

My friend tried to format his laptop harddisk, but everything when he formatting his harddisk in DOS enviroment, this message will appear ' trying to allocating loss cluster ### ' Does anyone knows what does it means?

After formatting and installing the windows, everything seems to be okie. However sometimes the laptoop shutdown by itself, and cannot be restarted into the windows. Because of this he formatting his harddisk again. And this message ' trying to allocating loss cluster ###' appears again.

Does it means that the harddisk is not working properly and he got to change the harddisk? If so can he uses the harddisk as external? Will it cause any trouble if he uses it as external harddisk?

Any helps will be appreciated. Thanks
Regards
Ah Sin

Mytob 13:00 07 Feb 2006

did you use fdisk aswell as formating it deleting the partition and creating a new partiton?

rmcqua 13:03 07 Feb 2006

This sounds as if the hard disk may have become damaged. There are some utilities to check this out and I'm sure someone will post a link for you. If it is damaged then replacement may be the only answer. It will still have the same problems if used externally.

Mytob 13:06 07 Feb 2006

run CHKDSK from run in the start menu

Sin 14:26 07 Feb 2006

I did use fdisk to make the partition before formatting. BTW, any reasons why i have to run chkdsk? If i run chkdsk, and the problem still persist does it means i have to change the harddisk?

Mytob 19:59 07 Feb 2006

i had a look on the net and it seems that windows has either found some lot data and is trying to put it in the fat or has lost some data which is registered in the fat and has lost it. CHKDSK is a dignostics tool which may slove the problem for you if it is lost or found data. if your hd is damage then ur stuffed and will have to get a new one. id go to a pc fair for a new hd as pc world and such places rip you off big time iv noticed :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone