Laptop hard drive upgrade advise please

Koochy 15:42 25 Mar 2007

Hi all just wondering if anyone knows of a way to find out what the biggest hard drive my motherboard will accept, as i seem to remember a thread on here saying that some motherboards will only accept up to a certain size hard drive.
Lappy is a Compaq Presario currently with a 80Gb hdd but i would like to go to 120Gb if poss. The reason being i have XP and Vista installed on the lappy and i need more space for all my music and photo's.

Thanks

Koochy

MAJ 15:50 25 Mar 2007

I have a red van, what type of cyclinder head gasket would I need?

In other words, what is the exact make and model of your laptop?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 25 Mar 2007

There is no limit that the OS can take but there is oviously a limit to the size of the hard drives available. If you have a IDE hard drive then i believe your limit is 160gb but if you have SATA your limit is 200gb and in the next few months 250gb.

Koochy 16:28 25 Mar 2007

click here
Is my laptop, but i'm not sure if it is SATA or IDE and i don't have it with me at the minute to check.

Koochy

Koochy 01:25 27 Mar 2007

^

MaxUpload 08:37 27 Mar 2007

I had the same dilemma a little while ago and instead of changing my hard drive I bought an external hard drive.

I think I paid £79.99 for a 320gig.

It solved all my storage problems at a stroke!

jack 08:50 27 Mar 2007

External storage for data files is the way to go
Keep the machine clean/clear for operating
Also if machine goes down - no loss of valuable data
There is of course no size limit to this- multiple drives - I have 2 caddies and 8 drives for example.

Totally-braindead 09:46 27 Mar 2007

According to the manual/advert it is a SATA notebook drive click here however since windows was preloaded and you can't just add a second hard drive and leave the original as you can with a laptop, and because I don't know that much about laptops I don't know whether its a simple matter to change it.
Perhaps someone else can advise on that. Personally I think an external drive is the simplest solution as has been suggested.

playmofire 09:56 27 Mar 2007

Upgrading the hard drive in a laptop is a problematical option. Toshiba laptops, for example, appear not to be upgradeable in this way. An external drive is the answer and when you're traveling with your laptop you just copy the folders and files you will need on to it or on to a CD/DVD or a USB drive and take them with you.

MaxUpload 10:03 27 Mar 2007

Just as a matter of interest - this is the one!

click here

Koochy 16:59 27 Mar 2007

I have a 500 Gb external HDD lying in a drawer and i never even thought about taking that away to work with me. I think that is the way i will go until it is time to upgrade the lappy.

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone