laptop - hard drive upgrade

jimmybond 16:31 05 Jun 2007

Hi,

I have a laptop which came with windows vista installed. It was supplied with both a recovery partition, and Vista/driver discs.

My question is - can I replace the hard drive, with one of the new 160Gb 7200rpm 2.5" laptop drives, and use the Vista disc, to install the OS again - or will it think this is multiple installs on different machines, when I try to use the license key again?

Thanks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:13 05 Jun 2007

Vista should not require reactivation if you only change the HDD.

woodchip 22:20 05 Jun 2007

You need to buy Acronis True Image, then Create a Image of the Old Drive with any partitions. This you need to copy to a External Drive. You can then fit the New Drive and Restore the Image. I did it With a Medion Laptop Computer Whent from a 30Gb 4200 rpm drive to a 60Gb 7200rpm drive. Also the Medion Recovery disc still works although I never use it. I tried it just for the sake of trying it

jimmybond 09:16 06 Jun 2007

ok thanks - if I use Acronis true image - how do I actually get this on the new drive - don't you need some kind of bootable medium, for the new (empty) drive? (CD/DVD?)

woodchip 17:07 06 Jun 2007

If you first install Acronis on your old drive. in the Programs on the Desktop there is a Part that you can create a Bootable CD, you can then start your computer with External drive connected and The BIOS as to be set to first boot from CD, Hard Drive should be set to second boot device. After starting with the Acronis boot CD let it load and choose Restore Then brows to the Acronis Image that you created and Restore it

jimmybond 17:57 06 Jun 2007

thanks both, that's very helpful, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?