Laptop Hard drive replacement

Cara2 12:37 28 Feb 2009

My laptop has broken and am told it is prop the circuit board.

Now, the hard drive has on it, an irreplacable programme which is essential. The programme (I have the discs) need a licence key which is no longer available. I suspect, in any case, that the licence key will only work with the original laptop.

My idea was to buy a new laptop and just swop hard drives. However, I have been told this is not possible unless the laptop is identical to the old one. I am sure this info is correct, but would really like a second opinion please, just to confirm.

My other idea was to maybe use the original hard drive as an external drive, to use the programme from there?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

scubaseven 12:54 28 Feb 2009

If you take it to a shop they will be able to recover the programs. But if you email the company you should be able to get the licence key for the program. Most programs are good for at least 2 computers, sometimes unlimited.
if you buy a new hard drive better to keep the new hd in it as you will have the recovery partition and the old HD could be a little damaged.
But email the company first.

Cara2 14:41 28 Feb 2009

The software was put on as a gesture of goodwill after some problems we had with some work the company. We do not have the opportunity to get a licence key for a new laptop in this case.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 28 Feb 2009

"My idea was to buy a new laptop and just swop hard drives"
Windows on old drive may not boot new machine due to different drivers for motherboard etc.
CAn you get XP drivers for new machine?

"use the original hard drive as an external drive, to use the programme from there?"
OK if standalone program but if has loaded files in the registry then will not work from windows on new machine

However you may get away with doing a XP? repair prior to boot from the old hdd in new machine.

1.Fit old drive in new machine
Set BIOS to boot from CD save and exit.
Boot with XP CD in drive

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Cara2 22:21 04 Mar 2009

Hi, thanks for replies. Have mulled over all options and have decided to scrap and reluctently start from scratch.

Regards
Cara

al's left peg 12:18 31 Jul 2009

bookmark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?