laptop hard drive fat32 should i change?

sype 09:05 04 Feb 2007

I have just bought a laptop with 2 60gig hard drives. when i try to move a 5 gig file to the hard drive it says there is not enough space. i think the problem is because it is fat 32. could i reformat my second hard drive to NTFS and not damage anything? and how would i go about it?

Gongoozler 09:18 04 Feb 2007

Converting from FAT32 to NTFS is quite simple and, in theory, non destructive, but I always back up all the important data first.

click here
and
click here

sype 09:43 04 Feb 2007

when i type in convert d: /fs:ntfs and press enter i get "the type of the file system is fat32. enter current volume label for drive d:" What do i do next?

carper 10:03 04 Feb 2007

I was thrown by the same problem of not knowing wat the volume system was and got this message on the forum which worked great for me when trying to find the current volume label. In my case it was the manufacturers name

"Right click your "C" drive and select Properties. By default, the box containing the drive's name (the VOLUME LABEL) will be highlighted. Enter that exactly when prompted.

Acknowledgements to mgmcc

Hope this is helpful. As I understand it some makes are shipped with Fat 32 because it is easier to convert to NTFS and the other way. regards Carper

sype 10:36 04 Feb 2007

thanks thats worked. need to get the nerve to do it to the C: drive now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?