Laptop hard drive capacity.

phono 17:26 18 Apr 2004

Does any kind soul happen to know the largest hard drive capacity that a Compaq Presario 1200 xl-103 laptop will take? It originally came with a 5Gb drive.

Is it likely it could be made to work with drive overlay software if the BIOS does not support 20Gb plus drives?

I have searched the HP (Compaq) website without luck.

y_not 19:38 18 Apr 2004

Have you considered a USB external HDD?

5Gb seems a reasonable size for O/S & usual software requirements and a removable unit would allow you to move and protect your personal files.

y_not 19:39 18 Apr 2004

Have you considered a USB external HDD?

5Gb seems a reasonable size for O/S & usual software requirements and a removable unit would allow you to move and protect your personal files.

phono 20:20 18 Apr 2004

Hi y_not.

The laptop concerned belongs to a friend, the hard drive died and I replaced it with a spare 2Gb drive I had as a temporary measure.

I have seen second user, and indeed new, 20 and 30 Gb drives at reasonable money but I was wondering if the BIOS would recognise drives of this capacity, or alternatively, would drive overlay software allow the use of such a drive?

I did suggest a USB drive to him but portability issues and pricing are stumblimg blocks for him.

phono 15:36 27 Apr 2004

It seems that no one is able, or willing :-, to advise me as to a Presario 1200's ability to take a hard drive larger than 5Gb so I guess I will call it quits and tick the resolved box.

Thanks y_not for taking the time to reply to my query.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires