Laptop Hard disk looks full

johnlecarre 13:34 07 Jan 2006

Running Win XP, have some hard disk problems so it seems to be slow and accessing a lot. Checked the properties of the C drive and it shows it is almost full with only about 400M free, it is a 10 Gb disk. I have not loaded anything much on it and from memory it was never more than about 3 Gb before with 7 Gb free. Any ideas why it is showing almost full? Any way to rectify this?
Thanks.

mattyc_92 13:41 07 Jan 2006

Probably Windows Updates have got you.... My drive has gone from about 7gigs (when i built it) to about 25gigs.

This is because of personal files, secuirty software updates and Windows Updates all combined. I have recently formatted my system due to many different, and unrelated, problems that I just couldn't be bothered to sort out. As all my important files are on another partition, I formatted. It has now grown back to about 21gigs.

But I do have 3 games installed. They would take up about 11gigs in total, so most of the space used is Windows and other programs such as Nero, Office, etc....

Hope that helps.....

mattyc_92 13:42 07 Jan 2006

Could also be System Restore....

woodchip 13:48 07 Jan 2006

I suggest if You have the computer running OK other than it being nearly a full Hard Drive is turn Restore of then back on this will remove all the restore points and give you back lots of space. Then set the restore settings to use just 7% of you C:\drive any other Partitions should be turned of

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?