Laptop hanging

sean-278262 16:09 20 Nov 2010

Hi all

I have an Asus laptop that is about 3 years old that has currently been experiencing some unusual issues. It randomly hangs and everything on screen freezes and the trackpad does not allow me to do anything nor is the keyboard responsive.

I have tried leaving the system on to see if it recovers but after leaving it on for 24 hours the last time it still had not recovered so had to resort to holding the power button and powering down. The system then reboots and does a chkdsk and found some issues with the drive before repairing the problems and restarting. The system then stays fine for a few days before the problem reoccurs and the process starts all over.

I have tried manually running chkdsk, spybot, spyware blaster, avg scan and not been able to find any issues other than when the system runs chkdsk automatically after the forced shut down by the power button.

Having looked online I cannot seem to find anything that resembles the issue so currently I'm stumped as to what to look at next to resolve the issue. It is not an over heating problem as the laptop is running cooler than normal. I wonder if it is a sign the hard disk is on it's way out but have not yet gotten a chance to use a checking utility. The computer is mainly used 90% of the time for internet browsing and hangs when Firefox (version 3.6) is running so that might be a possible cause.

The system is an Asus F3SV running, Windows Vista Ultimate.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to try next or what to do that might resolve this as I am at a loss and want to try to get it back working ASAP.

rawprawn 18:43 20 Nov 2010

Try a system file scan, open the command prompt as "Run as administator" and at the prompt type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
This will replace any corrupt or missing system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?