Laptop graphics - upgradeable?

tripitacha 18:38 11 May 2005

I just bought a new laptop, but the graphics aren't very good, the highest resolution I can get is 1024x768, if it goes higher, the desktop becomes bigger than the screen and I have to scroll to reach invisible bits of the desktop.... anyway.... I was hoping to be able to increase my resolution capabilities by buying a graphics accelerator. Is this possible? I think you can get a card that fits in that little credit card shaped slot that improves the graphics, but i'm not sure....

Help please!!!

woodchip 18:41 11 May 2005

In one Word "NO"

tripitacha 18:45 11 May 2005

so there's absolutely nothing I can do to upgrade the graphics at all?

Totally-braindead 18:53 11 May 2005

Fraid I have to go with Woodchip here, as far as I know there is no way to replace a laptop graphics card as its built in to the laptop motherboard.

tripitacha 19:26 11 May 2005

I'm sure I saw graphics cards that fit into that little slot on laptops on the side, bout the size of a credit card.... is there such a thing?

woodchip 19:30 11 May 2005

You could check. But if there is Get ready for price. When you think of the ones fitted in Gaming Desktops with BIG fans and Heatsinks

Totally-braindead 19:31 11 May 2005

tripitacha I don't know, I've never seen what you describe. I have seen LAN cards and the like that are about the size of a credit card and fit in to the side of a laptop and other things as well but not a graphics card, as I said the graphics is physically part of the motherboard. Only suggestions I have is leave this open and see if someone else knows what the thing you describe is or maybe ask the laptop manufacturer.

woodchip 19:41 11 May 2005

If you want it to game on. Cheaper and better to get a Xbox or PS2

Totally-braindead 19:41 11 May 2005

Just found this in a previous thread on upgrading laptops click here so some laptops can be upgraded, which I must admit I didn't know, but the laptops are very expensive, god alone knows how much the actual upgrade will cost. You'd be better contacting the manufacturer or at least posting back with the make/model of your laptop and then someone will be able to say whether this is one of the new upgradable ones.

Totally-braindead 19:45 11 May 2005

Here it is the upgradable DELL click here costs £1521.

Diodorus Siculus 21:17 11 May 2005

You can get PCMCIA graphics for some machines but at a cost; getting an external monitor might be a cheaper way of achieving what you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?