Laptop Graphics Cards

cthooli 21:53 13 Mar 2003

Is it possible to upgarde the graphics card on my laptop, its currently a S3 Savege card 32mb but it cant handle full screen DVD. The laptop is a time model with 1.5 athlon and 386mb ram! 40 gb hard drive. but on full screen dvd it skips and sticks and jumps! its not the player either cause i have tried others

powerless 21:55 13 Mar 2003

Nope.

Update your drivers for the card, see if that helps.

PCA_Expert 22:51 13 Mar 2003

Eh?

What about the Nvidia GeForceGo series of cards click here and Ati Mobility cards click here ?

nick_j007 23:38 13 Mar 2003

I use a Dell 8100 with a GeForceGo 2 32MB card and it is fine in all respects, but please note that initially my DVD playback was awfully choppy in full screen mode and was most dissappointed at first. I contacted Dell who gave me a few driver updates to try. Since installing those updates it has continued to work a treat. So, I would look more at your drivers for now. Visit the web site for your graphics card for starters?

Good luck!

Nick Jones.

bigdamouk 04:50 14 Mar 2003

Powerless is correct, its not possible to update any internal hardware on your laptop apart from a RAM ugrade. Beside which im pretty certain that opening your laptop in that respect would invalidate your warranty.

I have a Sony Vaio PCG with an ATI rage 8Mb graphics, i have no problem running DVDs in full screen mode.

zanwalk 06:42 14 Mar 2003

I have a very similar model to yours - plays DVD's without any problem, as above, check your drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?