laptop getting hot

jayjayj 17:49 18 Jul 2012

hi i have a new laptop is it normal for the palm rest to get very hot to the point that your hand feel uncomfortable thanks

frybluff 18:12 18 Jul 2012

Different makes/models of laptops have a tendancy to get warm at some position. Having said that, nowhere should get HOT, which could indicate that a ventilation fan is not working. Particularly if you have it on a soft surface, you should be sure that no air vents are obstructed. Can you hear a fan running when it's that hot. If you confirm make/ model, someone can probably advise further.

jayjayj 18:29 18 Jul 2012

thanks for reply i can hear the fan but it is really hot where my hand is resting the model is l850 166 the problem is this is my 3rd laptop the first 1 made a static noise the second 1 was an ex display and now this 1 seems to have this heat problem i only changed it yesterday, but my hand seems to be burning from the heat, do you know if there have been any problems with this model as i have heard the static pop noise on this 1 cant be the speakers they are on mute any advice would be very helpful thanks

Aitchbee 19:02 18 Jul 2012

One or two of the high street 'pound' shops sell 'laptop-coolers'; alternatively, if you can place your computer on a metallic tray, that may help to dissipate the excess heat. (...but you have probably thought of that one).

Nontek 19:11 18 Jul 2012

Although it would not doubt be a nuisance, I would get it replaced again - Laptops should not get that hot.

Nontek 19:12 18 Jul 2012

PS - after hours of daily use, my laptop is still cold to the touch. Bought new in March.

jayjayj 19:22 18 Jul 2012

do any of you know if this model as any problems like i said the first 1 made a pop static noise ever now and again but then was making it 10 times a day i have heard it once or twice on this 1 my speakers are on mute but my main concern is the heat thanks

Nontek 19:32 18 Jul 2012

click here

If this is your laptop, then No, it should not get that hot!!

Assuming you are using it sensibly, i.e. not on a carpeted floor/bed/lap, should be on a solid base with room for air circulation above/below and around it.

jayjayj 19:42 18 Jul 2012

yes thats the laptop and it is on my lap but there is nothing blocking the fan and i have always sat with the laptop on my knee i thought thats why they are called laptops

Nontek 19:46 18 Jul 2012

OK - try putting on a tea-tray on your lap then. Then see if it still gets Hot!

Nontek 19:47 18 Jul 2012

Or, as Aitchbee says above, get a Laptop Cooler tray.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?