Laptop Freezing Problem

woodm01 08:08 09 Sep 2008

I have a Packard Bell igo6000 series laptop. I have done a full system restore using the recovery disks provided, which restored the system to Windows XP (with no service packs).

I then attempted to install SP2 but about half way through the installation the laptop freezes altogether and I have to switch the machine off and on.

I then installed SP2 again, this time when installing keeping the mouse pointer moving all the way through, which worked.

I then attempted to install SP3 without moving the mouse and the laptop frooze up again.

Any ideas ?

xania 08:35 09 Sep 2008

You don't say wether this is a ocntinuation of a problem which made you decide to undertake this recovery so I will assume not. I would suspect that the recovery itself did not go well for some reason - a file may not have copied correcty or could even be corrupt. I would suggest re-running the recovery procedure to see what happens. If the same thing occurs, I would suspect a faulty recovery partition and get in touch with Packard Bell about a replacement.

Technotiger 08:36 09 Sep 2008

I am not implying that I may have a solution, but it might help us if you could say why the full restore was necessary in the first place.

woodm01 09:01 09 Sep 2008

I attempted to install SP2 before the restore, this caused the computer to freeze and Windows then refused to boot up. This is when I did a complete restore.

Technotiger 09:09 09 Sep 2008

Have you tried SP3 again with the mouse on-the-move, as per SP2?

Is your SP3 on disc or from a download?

If from a download perhaps you should remove SP3 and re-download it, save it to disc and then try the install again.

woodm01 09:23 09 Sep 2008

Looks like I need to do this to get it through. Do you think it could be something to do with the sleep feature in Windows?

Technotiger 09:51 09 Sep 2008

Possibly, try it with sleep feature turned off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie