Laptop freezing

steve263000 07:40 12 Apr 2010

My six month old laptop keeps freezing for no apparant reason. Today it has worked perfectly and writing this I have no problems. Yesterday it froze twice and had to be turned off with the power button.

I run Outlook and it often freezes when I click on a link or try to forward emails. But not always. It has done it while surfing, (I use Firefox). I have cleaned it using CC Cleaner and installed Revo Uninstall pro and Tune up 2009 from the cover disc of the last mag and tried them.

I have a Compaq lappy with 4gb memory and a 500gb hard drive

northumbria61 08:06 12 Apr 2010

Laptops are noted for overheating. I am not suggesting that you do but do not use it on your knee BUT they need a good airflow around them. Make sure the fan/fans are running and nothing is being blocked.

northumbria61 08:11 12 Apr 2010

When it "freezes" do not turn off but go to Device Manager (ctrl+alt+del keys) and see what applications are running - then you can choose to "end task"

steve263000 16:13 12 Apr 2010

The computer is kept on a desk and very rarely used on my knees. Never in any case since this has been happening. I have tried ctrl+alt+del keys and I cannot get into that. I have even tried the restart button without success. But today of course I have had no problems!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 12 Apr 2010

Freezing

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

steve263000 04:02 13 Apr 2010

Well for now anyway. I had been keeping the laptop on a non slip type soft mat and I think that may have been causing the problem. I have taken that away and have had no problems since. I will leave this post open for now but close it later if no problems come up in a day or two.

steve263000 04:08 13 Apr 2010

I had rudely forgotten to add a big thank you to all that posted on this so thanks to all.

northumbria61 07:58 13 Apr 2010

"I had been keeping the laptop on a non slip type soft mat and I think that may have been causing the problem"

Thanks for the feedback Steve - appears to have been overheating/blocked fan/airflow - so easy to do without even noticing. Hope all is okay now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?