Laptop freezing

Mavisk 18:10 06 Feb 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to help someone via e-mail(they are miles away) who is having problems with their Laptop.
The laptop is running Win XP,is a Pentium 4 3.06 GHZ,with 512 MB of ram, and had been running fine until about 4 months ago.
The symptoms are that whenever the laptop is left running it freezes,and stutters, the clock loses time, Music just stops etc,
It'll start again if she moves the mouse, but sometimes it freezes completely for a minute or so, and then goes really slow,Pages
take for ever to load on the internet.
She is running AVG antivirus and a scan finds nothing.
A System Restore didn't work,I got her to download Ad aware, and Regseeker,and although both programs found lots of Spyware and errors,
The Laptop is still running just the same.
The problem is the same whether the Laptop is on the mains or the battery.
The problem remains when disconnected from the internet.
There is one yellow mark in device manager but it is next to an Intel(R) 537EA Modem which I believe is a dial up modem that doesn't
get used as she has Broadband.
She carried out a scandisk, but it made no difference.
She was unable to carry out a sfc /scannow,as it was asking for a Win XP disc,and she doesn't have one.
We've tried removing the mouse and just using the trackball,but the problems remain.
I got her go to Control Panel\Display\settings\Advanced Troubleshoot and move the slider down one notch,but that made no difference.
The problems remain even if the Laptop is started in safe mode.

I would be gratefull, if anyone could offer advice or any pointers as to what it could possibly be, that is causing these problems,as I
am starting to run out of ideas.
Many thanks.

User-312386 18:15 06 Feb 2006

It has all the symptoms of overheating

Tell your friend to go into the BIOS (by pressing the delete key at start up) and looking in the PC health part and ask her for the CPU temperature and fan speed

Mavisk 19:06 06 Feb 2006

Thanks for your quick reply.
I had more or less discounted heat as the problem,as
the problem is evident as soon as it is switched on
(sorry I may have misled you by saying "whenever the
laptop is left running"),and the fact that the Laptop
doesn't shut itself down or reboot.
I will try and get in touch to check the bios for temperature and fan speed.
Thanks again.

User-312386 20:55 06 Feb 2006

The CPU normally hits working temperature as soon as it is switched on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?