Laptop freezes, need to scan for viruses etc

BaboonBoy22 23:28 14 Mar 2009

My dads laptop was getting a COM Surrogate error.. I seemed to have sorted it by going into safe mode and adding the problem in the D.E.P. when investigating and giving the machine a clean up, IE was opening and going onto a site where it wanted to scan your computer.. kept saying it found all these viruses and for you to download there software.. blah blah blah... i think my dad may have seen this before and clicked on something as one of the messages was saying that "360" has found something and not "Norton 360". Norton was picking nothing up and neither was adaware. I noticed that on the desktop where some files called viewtubesoftware.40001.exe which I googled and looks like it is a virus so i deleted it. So I thought maybe Norton isn't picking it up (as I know its not exactly the best AV to say the least) so I downloaded a copy of avast.. installed it and when it had to reboot, it would load to display the desktop hang for a bit then log off. (Bugger) So I tried it in safe mode and it logs on then logs off straight away.

So thats the full story. Any suggestions?
I was wondering if there is a way I can access the drive via another machine without having to take out the HDD and using a chassis/IDE-USB connector.

Belatucadrus 23:39 14 Mar 2009

It may be worth trying DrWeb Live CD as this circumvents Windows completely click here

Did you uninstall Norton before adding avast! ?

BaboonBoy22 23:41 14 Mar 2009

No I just disabled it

Belatucadrus 23:47 14 Mar 2009

The log off during Safe mode is going to make things problematic. If you can ever get it to stay up long enough try removing one of the AV programs.
Other than that try Live CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone