laptop fault on power up

taffy101 15:26 17 Feb 2008

A friend's laptop has developed a fault in which it won't always turn on with the power button, unless one side of the touchpad is pressed at the same time. Even then it is rather touchy and won't turn on unless the pressure is in the right place. My friend seems to have the knack of doing it but his wife struggles to find the right spot! Once the machine has turned on it runs fine and has no problems. What could be causing this?

howard64 20:47 17 Feb 2008

it could be that something has moved within the laptop and is shorting out or open circuiting the start button. It may be that opening it up and reseating the keyboard etc might do the trick. Working on laptops is not my idea of fun so be very careful.

taffy101 21:13 18 Feb 2008

Thanks for that howard64, I thought it may involve something tricky!

Allend 07:31 19 Feb 2008

Hi, You havnt mentioned the make or model. I had a Vaio laptop that didn't power on when the power button/switch was switched on - power led light lights up and not much else happens - screen does not light up. Generally this would be a motherboard fault and requires component level repair - there is also a possibility of the fault being a processor fault. It's better to ask someone who knows what they're doing, because you don't want to make things worse than they already are. If you have more money and time, take it to a repair shop and make your life easier. A best bet would be Creative IT at The Willows 80 - London SE1 5SY. Tel: 020 7237 6805 or [email protected]

taffy101 14:16 19 Feb 2008

To be honest I'm not sure what make the laptop is. I'll have to ask my friend and he's away at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?