laptop fan keeps running

bigboab y 11:22 12 Sep 2006

I have a DEll Latitude CP lappy ... Celeron 600..and XP PRO. After about 5 minutes the fan comes on and wont go off... I ran task manager and noticed the following thingies were running .. services.exe .. lsass.exe svchost.exe ... system idle .. The cpu usage graph is all over the place .... Any ideas on how these can be stopped I am assuming this is what is causing the fan to cut in. cheers all

Gongoozler 12:02 12 Sep 2006

Is this behaviour something that has changed since the laptop was new, or is it a new phenomenon?
The computer is quite old. so there is a possibility that it has accumulated a lot of dust which would cause it to run hot.
Another possibility that occurs to me is that it is quite a low spec machine, is it really up to running XP Pro - how much memory does it have?
You say that the CPU graph is all over the place, have you scanned for virusses and malware?

Gongoozler 12:05 12 Sep 2006

Is this behaviour something that has changed since the laptop was new, or is it a new phenomenon?
The computer is quite old. so there is a possibility that it has accumulated a lot of dust which would cause it to run hot.
Another possibility that occurs to me is that it is quite a low spec machine, is it really up to running XP Pro - how much memory does it have?
You say that the CPU graph is all over the place, have you scanned for virusses and malware?

bigboab y 12:09 12 Sep 2006

I ran AVG and Spybot ... with no baddies showing.... There is no problem running XP as the memory is 256 and the hard drive 40 gigs..

bigboab y 21:45 12 Sep 2006

I noticed that whenever I tried to shut down,Windows updates were loading before the machine switched off... sooooo I ran Spybot again... found a thing called Windows Update... override (or something).. killed that and inoculated the system...Now the CPU is running normally and the fan aint running. Things all ok ... if you get this fault look for that Malware..its a bugger ... thanks all

woodchip 21:50 12 Sep 2006

Windows Update, Is windows trying to update your computer while you are trying to shut the computer down. And it is trying to stop you. If you stop it you can cause all kinds of problems

terryf 21:52 12 Sep 2006

Why don't you go to Start>Windows Update and let it follow its course?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?