Laptop ethernet driver probs

DjSprinks 19:35 12 Feb 2010

Hi guys and girls,
A while ago due to a currupt OS i reinstalled XP on my IPC powernote a laptop (Bad choice i know but ive got my custom desktop which is my baby! :),and the missus has a samsung notebook. Just brought it off a mate to use for work,in bed and to save on the juice that the big girl desktop pulls! Lol) Anyway, after the reinstall i noticed that the ethernet,802.11b wifi,multimedia ect drivers are all missing! I cant find the ethernet one anyware thus cant connect it to the broadband to find the others! i dont even know what make the ethernet is because it doesnt say,i even pulled it apart to look on what i think was its chip but no brand on there. I tryed searching the net for laptop make and even the hardware IDS code but nothing! Its driving me MAD!! Lol Any surgestions anyone?? Thanks

GaT7 20:20 12 Feb 2010

The only thing I can think of is to try a XP-compatible USB wireless adapter/dongle & see if you can use the Hardware Update Wizard to download & install drivers that way.

I.e. Device Manager > right-click problem entries one at a time > select Upgrade Driver, & choose the option to allow Windows to connect to Windows Update to search for software/drivers. G

P.S. Found it difficult to read your post. Hit Enter twice to create a new paragraph on the forums, & please try to use the Spacebar a little more :-)

DjSprinks 12:36 13 Feb 2010

To Crossbow7:

Thats what i was thinking but didnt really want to have to fork out £30 odd for something i will never use again as my GF's laptop is wifi enabled and mine should be to! Lol

Might see if Virgin Media can give me a complementry one or maybe borrow one off a friend if theres no other way to get round it. If not will just have to stop being so tight! Lol

And sorry about rabiting in my last post,was very stressed out! Lol Thanks for your help :)

howard64 12:48 13 Feb 2010

try downloading siw this neat prog can tell you what ethernet is in the beast. You could also go to the makers site and download the motherboard driver for it.

GaT7 13:17 13 Feb 2010

Would be ideal if howard64's advice works.

Otherwise, as you mention, it would be a good idea to borrow a Wi-Fi dongle.

But you don't have to spend £30 to get one if you're unable to. You can get them starting at just ~£8 - see click here. And they are always handy to have as a backup whenever the inbuilt Wi-Fi starts acting up. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?