Laptop DVD/CD Drive won't read/recognise blank DVD

KorgY 22:08 11 Mar 2008

Hello,

I have a Toshiba A100, and My DVD Writer won't see anything when i put a blank DVD in (non rewritable - "Verbatim"), If i click on it it says "D is not accessable incorrect funtion".

However, it DOES read my "rewritable" philips DVD+RW (after formatting), and that seems ok. Also it returns to "CD" when I receive the above prompt, not "DVD RAM" etc. I have (I think) burnt to these DVD'before, but not sure, as don't burn a lot of CD/DVD's on my laptop

Regards TIA

KorgY

woodchip 22:13 11 Mar 2008

Try using a CD cleaner. £1 at Poundland

DieSse 23:53 11 Mar 2008

If you put in a blank DVD and click on it - it won't be acessible because there's nothing on it to access.

If you format a DVD/RW it then does have something on it - the format information - so it's empty of data, not blank.

You write to DVDs by using software, which should recognise a blank disc and write to it. Just clicking on it is meaningless.

Stuartli 23:59 11 Mar 2008

DieSse has summed it up very well.

Laser cleaners are generally of very little value with a computer optical drive, as these are very well protected from dust and dirt.

DieSse 00:01 12 Mar 2008

Having said that, I tried me (desktop) system DVD writer with a

Blank DVD -R and it said it was a CD with 0 bytes

Blank CD-R and it said it had 720MB free space.

Make of that what you will.

Still the acid test is will it write to a DVD, not will it do something when you click on it.

I strongly recommend you not to put a CD cleaner into a laptop DVD drive. If you want to clean the lens, open the drive and brush the lens gently with a very soft brush

woodchip 13:18 12 Mar 2008

"My DVD Writer won't see anything when i put a blank DVD in."

In Nero it should see it, but it may not see it in Win explorer

Stuartli 13:25 12 Mar 2008

My version of Nero (Reloaded6) requires that you choose CD or DVD when setting up a burning session from SmartStart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?