Laptop DVD drive, generic size?

boon_intheuk 11:01 26 Mar 2011

Hi all, are laptop DVD drives all the same size, I need one for my old Packard Bell K5305 as it no longer reads DVD's, all the second user ones on Ebay appear to be the same size, could I get any one and just swap the bezel on the front? Thanks.

theDarkness 11:23 26 Mar 2011

Yes, there is a standard with size that most will use, similar to desktop drives but obviously much slimmer to fit. I ordered a replacement laptop dvd drive from ebay after my original gave up. It fitted in fine in size. Since the bezel was slightly different however, although its firmly in place, it sticks out slightly simply due to its shape. The drive works 100% with no problems. The main thing to make sure of is to what connector type your laptop uses for a dvd drive in order for it to fit in the first place (IDE or SATA)

Strawballs 16:39 26 Mar 2011

I took the one off of my old HP laptop and fitted it to my sons Novatech laptop but had to unscrew all of the frame and bezel from both and swap over to allow it to fit but it works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?