Laptop dropped and dead :-(

Spewy87 11:12 04 Sep 2013

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advise. My son dropped my laptop and since then it won't boot up.

It is a HP Pavillion 2 years old. I have another HP laptop and I switched the hard drives, the laptop did boot up but had 2 immediate issues - } The icons on the desktop were much bigger } I couldn't connect to internet

don't want to go ahead and buy a new hard drive if I then encounter more expensive issues.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Andy

Chronos the 2nd 11:25 04 Sep 2013

Unfortunately you cannot just swap drives unless the laptops are exactly the same model as the drivers for various internal components will be different and problems will occur. If you just need to get files off your son's HDD then you will need a 2.5 Sata caddy. Something like these. Ebay.

I would imagine that dropping the laptop has jarred an internal connection loose which may or may not be repairable but likely to cost more than the PC is worth.

woodchip 13:11 04 Sep 2013

Refit the Drive and test again

bumpkin 13:42 04 Sep 2013

I would do as woodchip suggested first then be looking at opening it up and looking for anything obvious as you have little to loose.

woodchip 20:13 04 Sep 2013

bumpkin No need to open it as he says it boots with another hard drive but got problems as its not correct one for the Laptop

woodchip 20:13 04 Sep 2013

bumpkin No need to open it as he says it boots with another hard drive but got problems as its not correct one for the Laptop

bumpkin 20:22 04 Sep 2013

woodchip, I thought he was testing the hard drive from the dropped one in the other laptop my mistake.

PeterP.. 21:01 04 Sep 2013

Spewy87

Spot on from woodchip. If the laptop will not boot with the old hard drive, replace the hard drive with a new one and reinstall the operating system.

You can get the drivers for graphics and WiFi from the HP site

click here

Spewy87 10:52 05 Sep 2013

Thanks all,

I did refit the original HDD after I had tried the other one and got the same result - 'wont boot up'

The local repair shops are notorious from charging a fortune so I would rather bin it rather than take it to them.

To be sure though - buying a new HDD will NOT rectify this?

PeterP.. 10:56 05 Sep 2013

Buying a new hard drive will NOT rectify this.

Yes it will.

because you tried a different hard drive and the machine worked, it was just the drivers that stopped it working.

Buy a new drive, reinstall the operating system and load the drivers and you WILL have a working machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Comment créer un compte PayPal pour payer en ligne ?