laptop docking Station

hombre20 20:42 05 Sep 2007

Hi,

I have a desktop at home - I also have a laptop for business. If I want to be able to use the monitor, mouse and keyboard from my desktop with my laptop what piece of kit will best do this with minimum of hassle?

Thanks

ambra4 00:01 06 Sep 2007

hombre20

There are many type of docking station it would hard to say which one is best check out this site and see all the difference type available

click here

hombre20 00:15 06 Sep 2007

Thanks ambra for the site - so would I have one docking station/port replicator that I could plug in either my desktop or laptop via a USB? Is this the idea?

Steve

ambra4 00:40 06 Sep 2007

Not to sure how they work but it seems so

You just plug in all item to station and then connect laptop via a usb cable

KENSINGTON NOTEBOOK EXPANSION DOCK

The Notebook Expansion Dock connects your notebook to keyboard, printer, network and USB devices quickly and easily - from a single USB port.

There is nothing on any about a monitor so you may have to connect the monitor cable to laptop plus the usb cable

ambra4 00:43 06 Sep 2007

Look at this one as allow you to connect the monitor

click here

ambra4 00:54 06 Sep 2007

I like the Targus Mobile Docking Station with video

It seems all you have to do is plug the USB into the desktop and when you want to use the laptop just unplug from desktop and plug into laptop

hombre20 10:13 06 Sep 2007

Thanks ambra - I've heard the Targus is good but the video is not so good - apparantly its not so good getting video through a USB. I'm wondering whether what I need is something like a split cable for the monitor and keyboard rather than a docking station if video is an issue.

ambra4 13:12 06 Sep 2007

You could look at a 2 way video switch box just for the monitor and a simple docking station for all the other equipment, printer, ipod, flash drive, skpye headphone, speakers, internet access etc,

This would only require 2 cable to connect to laptop and 1 to unplug and plugin on the desktop

ambra4 13:59 06 Sep 2007

Look at this monitor switch box, it also answer why not to use a “Y” cable

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?