Laptop display Issue

Strangely Brown 21:16 26 Mar 2008

Hi All,

I have a HP Pavillion zd8044ea laptop that is about 3 years old.

Since yesterday, a 2 inch wide, vertical band has appeared on the display almost in the centre of the screen.

Within the band are what appear to be pixel-wide 'stripes' that can be picked out.

As I open and close different applications etc. each alternate 'stripe' in the band retains an image of the previous display.

The band can be seen when the machine boots up so I am assuming that it's a hardware issue rather than software.

My question really is it even worth trying to get this repaired or should I just work with the machine until it becomes unusable (if indeed the display deteriorates) and then replace the whole thing?

I have no idea how much such a repair might cost.

Anyone have experience of this type of thing or knowledge of the likely repair costs? Any help is much appreciated.

woodchip 21:24 26 Mar 2008

Faulty Graphics card. This is not replacable, it means a new Motherboard. You could try reloading the Graphics driver just in case it as been corrupted but I think it's the MOBO

Strangely Brown 21:49 26 Mar 2008

Hmm I did wonder that. Let's see if a driver reinstall will help!

woodchip 22:06 26 Mar 2008

Can you connect it to a External Monitor to test the card. If it's OK then it will be the TFT monitor on laptop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?