laptop display fault

rocket111 20:32 31 Aug 2008

I have a laptop on which it would seem the display has gone faulty and i need to start the machine to retrieve files but on boot it sees the error with the screen and i have tried connecting an external monitor but it does not see it and boot and i was wondering if anyone could help me over come this?

Regards

Ian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:54 31 Aug 2008

i have tried connecting an external monitor but it does not see it and boot and i was wondering if anyone could help me over come this?

there will be a key combination to press to activate the external monitor Fn - F7 is the usual one look for a symbol of a screen on one of the keys.

rocket111 21:13 31 Aug 2008

Hi Fruit bat

I have tried that but nothing seems to help, should this work even if i have allowed the machine to try and start with no screen working. I have plugged the external monitor into the laptop and then rebooted but it still appears to look for its own display in the boot sequence and then does no more. I have check that the error is display or video card as the laptop gives out one long beep and two short beeps on boot?

many thanks

ian

woodchip 21:15 31 Aug 2008

its F4 on my HP laptop

MAT ALAN 21:22 31 Aug 2008

error message suggests VGA device is loose or busted

standalone card or onboard graphics?

woodchip 21:24 31 Aug 2008

Laptop is built in graphics

rocket111 21:30 31 Aug 2008

The laptop is an HP and yes the key is F4 too but i know from previous use i would have to click this once or twice depending on wether i wanted laptop monitor and external working or just external.

In my ignorance from a few of your suggestions does this mean i have to have it repaired beofre i can access my files. Can the hard drive be removed and connected to my desk top?

Regards

Ian

woodchip 21:36 31 Aug 2008

2.5" USB caddy click here to fit the drive in so you can get your files on another computer

rocket111 21:48 31 Aug 2008

Many thanks woodchip, i will obtain a caddy drive and try this and will report back after having done this!

All help and suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Ian

rocket111 18:36 02 Sep 2008

Woodchip

I have purchased the caddy but the interface appears to be wrong, should i have asked for an AT interface as the drive is a Seagate Serial AT disc drive?

Many thanks

Ian

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:44 02 Sep 2008

Yes you need a caddy that will take a 2.5" SATA drive

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?