Laptop is dead, Cant even load the restore CD!HELP

mh84 20:17 05 Dec 2010

When I turn on my Laptop I get the following message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original system CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

I cant get it to do anything; Cant start in safe mode and cant get it to read the windows CD that I have to try and reinstall windows.

Also please advise if you think I can save my files...or are they lost???

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Im using Windows XP and its a Sony VAIO VGN-FS315E laptop if that's helpful?

stormrider123 20:20 05 Dec 2010

When u say u it cant read the disk which disk du u mean the original windows xp disk or a recovery disk supplied by sony

by the way Soz for the slang by im just so used to it

stormrider123 20:23 05 Dec 2010

And about ur files u could download and burn an iso of a linux distro like ubuntu and use the live cd option to acces and drag and drop ur files to an external hardrive or usb depending on how big ur files are

ashleycardwell94 20:31 05 Dec 2010

using another pc, and a linux distro, download the "system" file from another pc using the same OS. Or if you want, i can send you one from my system which is the same OS.

stormrider123 20:49 05 Dec 2010

Then u can browse to the folder where the original system file used to be using linux disto and add in the file then reboot and hopefully windows will succesfully boot with Ur data still in tact

stormrider123 20:49 05 Dec 2010

Then u can browse to the folder where the original system file used to be using linux disto and add in the file then reboot and hopefully windows will succesfully boot with Ur data still in tact

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 05 Dec 2010

If you do not have a full XP CD or cannot borrow one then stormrider123's idea of a linux cd is the best idea click here

You may need to set the BIOS so that the CD drive is the first boot device hdd the second.

If you get a XP CD then
Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config
ren system system.old
ren system.alt systemalt.old
copy c:\windows\repair\system
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
exit
remove CD and reboot

With the linux CD copy the system file from
c:\windows\repair to c:\windows\system32\config

T0SH 20:58 05 Dec 2010

Pressing the F2 key just after switch on to enter bios setup is a good way to establish that the basic hardware is functional, once there it may be there is a dignostic feature to check the hardware devices are all functioning normally which would leave you looking for a software solution

Cheers HC

stormrider123 21:04 05 Dec 2010

Wat ever u do i wouldnt advise u to think about fresh install or recovery install as this can be fixed in a much quicker way as suggrsted before and it also saves u from the long waiting times lf fresh install and thrn the inconvineince of having to reinstall ur programs
Trust me its a pain in the shoe especially with xp with its non graphical reformating and stuff i have been in the situatiln many times to know how it fells cause my pcs and laptops necer go down but when they fo a reformat is literaly the only way to solve them and recently my comps have been crashing alot

woodchip 21:22 05 Dec 2010

I am a bad speller, but do not like trying to read text letters when its not needed

stormrider123 21:28 05 Dec 2010

Lool if ur talkin about my posts then sorry i can spell but im currently on my phone and using a virtual keyboard cause its touchscreen amd the keys are small.
if ur wonderin why im using my phone its cause my computers dead agin for like the 5th time this week

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?