Laptop is dead (almost).

nerawan 21:39 09 Feb 2006

Hi. my 5 years laptop with windows xp has just collapsed. It doesn't boot and I can;t even go to the Bios. I just get a blue screen but I can see activity in the hard drive.

This afternoon I downloaded Driver Manager, an utility to get drivers. After it downloaded 2 drivers I got a message to buy it, so I uninstall it.

Then when I tried to play a c.d. it switch off and the problem started.

Any idea, what it could be?.It runs on power, no batteries.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 09 Feb 2006

If your laptop is set to boot from CD try:

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

Mytob 22:24 09 Feb 2006

if that fails get a linux live cd such as slax click here and a pendrive and copy all your work ect to the pendrive and then format the pc with the windows disc. i myself never bother with repairing windows and always prefer a fresh install as windows get screwy after a few months in anycase and repairing dont get rid of probs most of time it seems.

Mytob 22:24 09 Feb 2006

if that fails get a linux live cd such as slax click here and a pendrive and copy all your work ect to the pendrive and then format the pc with the windows disc. i myself never bother with repairing windows and always prefer a fresh install as windows get screwy after a few months in anycase and repairing dont get rid of probs most of time it seems.

nerawan 11:20 14 Feb 2006

The problem was the laptop was dead. Not way to get into the bios, even didn't go thx the post.
But I just changed the hard drive and it worked. Then I changed again the hard drive and this time it worked. I really don,t know what happened but everything is o.k. now. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:01 14 Feb 2006

Glad your sorted

nerawan 16:59 17 Feb 2006

Hi Fruit. Today I got a new problem. laptop booted and gave me the options: Start normally/ safe mode/ etc. whatever I did it kept rebootinf. I tried to follow your advice but I don't get step 5. after Agreetment it just go to Enter to continue and then delete partition. The option you say, is just b4 step 5.
are the steps right. I have installed many times windows and never seen the steps you describe.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 17 Feb 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017