laptop crashes at start up

Kingfisher 18:03 29 Sep 2008

HI there, my friend has the following problem with his xp laptop.
His pc crashes and keeps restarting but he has managed to capture the following error message.
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your pc. the problem seems to be caused by the following file Beep.sys
Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged Area
check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
Disable Bois memory options such as caching or shadowing
Tecnical info stop 0x00000050 (0x81000078 0x00000000 oxF79982FF 0x00000002
beep.sys address F79982FF base at f7997000 date stamp 48d397f5
beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete"
My friend cannot access safe mode with F8 and at this moment I cant establish if he can get into his bios either, I have googled beep.sys but not very helpful has anybody got any ideas, apologies for drawn out posting
many thanks

skidzy 20:25 29 Sep 2008

The stop bug code 050 could be pointing to bad memory,basically failing/failed ram.

If two ram modules are installed,remove one and try to boot the system,alternate between the two ram modules.

There are a number of possibilities but this would be my first step.

This could be just a ram module has become loose from its slot.Check this is firmly in place.

Kingfisher 22:18 29 Sep 2008

thanks skidzy will suggest he gives it a try

Kingfisher 08:38 02 Oct 2008

have tried skidzy's suggestion with ram modules but fault still remains.
I have established that my mate can access safe mode, so will I be able to access his xp disk and carry out a repair installation. If I go to command prompt from safe mode will I be able to change prompt to drive where his xp disk (e) is and carry out repair from there, also can I run scannow from command prompt and try and repair beep.sys, any suggestions wold be appreciated

Kingfisher 08:40 02 Oct 2008

forgot to mention that he hasw tried restoring to an earlier date and last known good configuration but still crashes at boot up with same error message thanks

chub_tor 09:11 02 Oct 2008

Google does say that beep.sys is a hidden Windows system file and therefore if it is damaged in some way you can restore it by running SFC click here

Kingfisher 09:26 02 Oct 2008

as the pc wont boot past the error message even in safe mode I cant get to the run box in windows so do you know if I can run it from a coomand prompt which i can get to in safe mode thanks

chub_tor 11:15 02 Oct 2008

According to this click here you can run sfc from a command prompt and the article lists the variations. Another page I read suggests that if you run sfc /? from a command prompt you get help but I haven't ever tried that.

Kingfisher 16:02 03 Oct 2008

hi chub_tor have managed to resolve the problem by accessing the boot menu and carrying out a repair installation, with the xp disk thank you for all your suggestions, have ticked as resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?