Laptop clock slow

Strangely Brown 15:15 10 Jan 2005

My work laptop appears to have a problem keeping time. It's lost 50 minutes since I corrected it under a week ago. It's fine whilst I'm working but appears to be losing time when it's not switched on.

Bearing in mind that it is now 4 years old is there a battery on the system board that may be failing?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 10 Jan 2005

yes sounds like the system battery (small watch type battery)is starting to fail.

Make a note of your BIOS settings and buy a new battery aprrox £1.99 (don't goto Pcworld £3.99)

The battery is usually under a small flap on the base of the laptop. If you post make and model someone may be able to tell you exactly where it is.

Strangely Brown 12:36 11 Jan 2005

Thanks for the update FruitBat. The machine in question is an IBM Thinkpad T21 if anyone can help.

Personally, I see this as a perfect opportunity to highlight to my employer that they really need to invest in some new kit for their consultants. I mean, I can't even play a decent game of Championship Manager on this!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 11 Jan 2005

hardware and maintenance manual click here

Strangely Brown 10:14 12 Jan 2005

Thanks FB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?