Laptop Clicking Noise

skysocket 17:52 14 Feb 2009

Hey,

I am experiencing an issue with my Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi laptop.

First, this is an occasional issue. I use this laptop alot, and this issue only occurs perhaps once a week.

When occuring, i get a small clicking noise, much like a clock ticking, from within the laptop. This is not a 'harsh' clicking that sounds like the major harddrive failure sound recordings I have listened to online. However it is noticeable.

The clicking noise i experience always starts off slow, clicking approx once every 2 seconds. This will continue, and for some reason speeds up gradually over time.

If i tilt the laptop backwards, the clicking will speed up very quickly, until it stops. Placing the laptop flat again, often the clicking will not come back (occasionally it does, then i repeat the process above).

I have long backed my data up, i just wanted the opinions of others. Sound like typical harddrive failure to you?

Any help appreciated! Cheers

User-1229748 17:58 14 Feb 2009

if you go to your hard drive manufacturers website you should be able to run a diagnostic tool,although a clicking noise from within does not sound good :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?