laptop choice

User-994545 12:26 30 May 2008

daughter lives in spain and we want to buy her a laptop £300-£400 range,we want English keyboard pan-european servicing,and have the choice of vista or XP is it best to buy it in spain or England,if purchased on the web should we have it sent to us or direct to spain.this laptop will not be used for games or anything fancy and if that ain't enough,why does my roses keep getting black spots.

Ditch999 13:15 30 May 2008

Most laptops have universal power adaptors so it should work as long as it can cope with the local voltage ie 110 volts at 50hz. It will say on the adaptor what voltage it will accept. Acer do a European warranty so it doesnt matter where you are it can be repaired.
Personally I would stick with XP, especially for a laptop, and get an Intel one as it runs cooler and quicker. Look for one with at least 1GB RAM, preferably 2GB (but its easy to add more)

User-994545 15:45 30 May 2008

thank looks good to me

mooly 07:23 31 May 2008

My personal opinion-- Go for Vista -- have found it far more stable and hassle free than XP. Vista gets bad press for no real reason IMO. My Acer has been brilliant, even with 1GB ram. Takes around 2min 25 sec from hitting power button to all applications loaded, thats with F-Secure IS2008 and the Vista sidebar and Aero running.
Just my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?