Laptop charger not working

geek84 07:11 03 Aug 2011

Good Morning folks

I have had an Acer laptop for about 3 years now. During the last few days, I have noticed that the charger is not working. Does that mean the 'life' of the charger has come to an end and that I will neto buy a new one? If so, could you suggest any places where I could buy a cheap laptop charger?

Thanks in advance for your response.

mgmcc 08:21 03 Aug 2011

"If so, could you suggest any places where I could buy a cheap laptop charger?"

Something like this perhaps?

onthelimit1 11:51 03 Aug 2011

I usually get them from Amazon. There are cheaper ones arounf but I've found the 10 quid jobs don't last long. This was the last one I got for an Acer CQ61 here

geek84 12:41 03 Aug 2011

Hi folks

I am not really computer literate but the light on the small black box which leads from the cable box does not turn on when plugged in - so I presume the charge unit has gone faulty? Is there any way in which I can open the black box and see if it needs a new fuse or something?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:52 03 Aug 2011

The only replaceable part in a laptop adaptor is the fuse in the plug.

Clapton is God 14:33 03 Aug 2011

But does the charger power the laptop (from the mains) when plugged in?

If so, it may be a faulty battery which isn't charging rather than a faulty charger.

wee eddie 16:00 03 Aug 2011

I assume that you have checked that the socket is turned On and live, by plugging something else into it. If that is OK, then change the Fuse in the, as you call it, "Black Box's" Plug. If it's light does not come on, then that is where your fault lies, it relies on the Fuse in its Mains Plug.

rickf 10:17 05 Aug 2011

Buy a new one. Faulty can be unsafe. A few quid is not worth saving in this instance.

Tech_Guy 11:05 08 Aug 2011

I'd look at removing the battery and trying to power the laptop without it. Most laptops don't need a battery to run. In fact there is a train of thought that recommends not having a battery in a laptop if it is used on mains power constantly. The main reason is heat (if you've ever felt under a laptop you will know) is a major factor in degrading the life of the battery. Better to store it in a cool, dry place at about 80% charge, topping up to 80% every month due to self discharge.

If you need a new adapter or battery, try Laptop Batteries and Laptop AC Adapters

Tech_Guy 11:08 08 Aug 2011

If you need a new adapter or battery, try link

Tech_Guy 11:11 08 Aug 2011

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?