Laptop can't install updates

snowy30 17:31 31 Dec 2013

Hi Everyone

Been a while since I've read or posted anything on the forums

Could anyone help me in fixing the updates on my laptop, please?

Sometimes when I goes to power it down, it notifies me in the Start Button that there are 24 updates waiting to be installed. Or if I try to update Windows via Windows Update it says there are 24 updates to be install, but on both occasions either when I'm powering down or when I try to install them whilst the computer is on, it fails to do so. I tried a few ways I can think of to fix the problem, but they don't seem to work.

I tried SFC/Scannow from Prompt. I tried to let Microsoft fix the problem via their website, and tried to add two string values to the registry for MS Office that I happened to find via Google via Microsoft solution page.

When I select to update Windows whilst the computer is on, it comes up with three error codes. Error Code 641, Error Code 80070663 and another error code I can't remember at this point. But will update this posting when I try to install the updates once again. A couple of times I thought I solved the problem but it still has problem installing the updates.

The laptop uses Windows Vista and works fine despite the problem. I think I've been having this problem since patch Tuesday of this month.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help

Happy New Year

snowy30 17:41 31 Dec 2013

The third error code is 80070641

onthelimit1 17:43 31 Dec 2013

In this situation, usually best to try installing one at a time.

alB* 18:45 31 Dec 2013

Possible fix here enter link description here ...alB

snowy30 19:00 31 Dec 2013

Tried that mate. The Windows Installer is not started.

More Help is available by typing net helpmsg 3521

snowy30 19:01 31 Dec 2013

The Windows Installer service is not started

That's what it says, and it was one of the methods I previously tried

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)