laptop can't access desktop

Mooky 20:59 04 Feb 2006

Hi guy's. Will someone please put me out of my misery? Picture the scene. One laptop and one desktop connected together via network cards hub and cat5 cables. The problem is this. The desktop can access the laptop but not the other way around. Both machines are running XP Home. When I click on view workgroup computers both are displayed. If I then click on the desktop computer I get the following message again and again. computer is not accessible.You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied. AARRRGH! They both belong to the same workgroup name. I'm completely stumped, and a complete beginner to this networking any advice would be gratefully received Cheers Mooky.

jacqueline_1969 22:20 04 Feb 2006

Make sure file sharing is enabled on your desktop pc. If it is already abled make sure you have actually gave permision to access a folder on the network. If you go into view workgroup computer on your dekstop pc and access the desktop from there you will be able to see what folders you have shared on the network. Then check the folders in their original locations on your dekstop pc by going to properties and then sharing and make sure you have ticked the boxes to allow access from the laptop.

topsps 22:45 04 Feb 2006

I think the last reply has got the wrong end of the problem! I can empathise with Mooky I have exactly the same problem I am networking 2 desktops and 4 laptops using Windows xp Professional. The twi desktops can access each others shared files, the laptops can access the desktops but the desktops cannot access the shared files on the laptops - very frustrating and I cannot fix the problem some advice would be welcome

mgmcc 09:16 05 Feb 2006

The most common reason for being unable to access "shared" folders in a remote PC over a network is a *firewall* that hasn't been configured to allow access to local network traffic.

The message that Windows regurgitates about nobody having permission to do anything is a generic one whenever there is any problem accessing another networked computer. It is misleading and often quite incorrect.

topsps,
With XP Pro, you need to be logged in to "client" PCs with a Username/Password that matches an Account set up in the "host" PC, as covered in this article - click here

mgmcc 10:16 05 Feb 2006

Something which might help to get the networked PCs talking is to use "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". This doesn't need configuring with IP addresses and so on like TCP/IP and isn't affected by firewalls. However, for internet access, TCP/IP is still required.

To install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the General tab, click the Install button. In the next box, highlight Protocol and click Add. Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and click OK.

keewaa 10:24 05 Feb 2006

If you go to a command prompt anf type
NET USER GUEST
do you see a line
ACCOUNT ACTIVE = YES

Mooky 20:35 05 Feb 2006

Thanks for taking the time to answer my plee! I'll give your suggestions a go and see what happens, failing that I'll get the Hamlet's out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone