Laptop cannot connect to internet using new wireless router

lisa_lfc 16:33 24 Oct 2011

My laptop will not connect to the internet through a new Virgin Media wireless router we have. I am able to get on the internet via a TalkTalk wireless router we have, but can only connect to the internet with limited connectivity via the Virgin router. Any help on fixing the issue with the Virgin Router would be great.

birdface 16:37 24 Oct 2011

If the router is seperate from the modem. Switch both off for 1 minute then switch the modem on.2 minutes later switch the Router on and see if that makes any difference.

lisa_lfc 16:40 24 Oct 2011

Nah, they are not separate

birdface 16:41 24 Oct 2011

TalkTalk wireless router we have.] Make sure that is switched off before switching the Virgin modem and router off and on.

You have to open network connections in the Taskbar and click on the virgin Signal and add the password that you have given it.

birdface 16:45 24 Oct 2011

lisa_lfc

Have you tried just switching the router off for a minute then back on again.

Sometimes connecting the Laptop through the ethernet cable helps. Then see if it connects through the wireless connection..

lisa_lfc 16:46 24 Oct 2011

Have done this previously. Am connected to the network but with limited connectivity and unable to access the internet.

Woolwell 17:34 24 Oct 2011

Put in the correct password?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 24 Oct 2011
  1. connect modem/router to phone line / cable input

2. connect modem / router to PC / Laptop using ethernet cable

3. connect to router by using the address printed in the documentation something like - http:/192.160.100.1

4. Enter the admin pages using the password in the documentation something like - username admin password admin

5. Enter the Username and password for your ISP

6. save the settings

7. try opening a web page

T0SH 20:53 24 Oct 2011

Both Virgin Media and Talk Talk supply free ISP locked wireless routers (in other words they will not work on any ISP other than the one who supplied it) if your Talk Talk wireless router works then by inference your Internet Service Provider (ISP) must be Talk Talk so the Virgin Media router will not work just as you have proved :¬)

Cheers HC

lisa_lfc 21:02 24 Oct 2011

Thanks for reply Fruit Bat but I have tried all that has been suggested so far. I can not see a reason why the connection is still only showing local only.

HC - we have two ISP for the house. I am trying to connect to Virgin Media network using a Vigin Media router.

Woolwell 22:05 24 Oct 2011

They're not connected to the phone line at the same time are they?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?