Laptop cannot connect to desktop PC via wireless

San Alwigi 07:46 30 Dec 2008

Hello - tried to search forums for solution to this, but no joy (although I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere!)

I have a new desktop running Vista and a laptop running XP. They both are connected to the internet fine (the laptop through the wireless network that is running off a router connected to the desktop.

The Vista desktop can see the laptop in "Network" and can happily access the shared folders on the laptop no problem.

But whilst the desktop can be seen by the XP laptop in "View Workgroup Computers", the laptop cannot connect to or access the desktop. A double click on the desktop icon visible in "View Workgroup Computers" launches a Username and Password request (as far as I am aware, neither machine has one of these!). Also if I try to "Add A Network Place" on the XP laptop, whilst the desktop is visible in the "Browse For Folder" option, I cannot select it to add.

The same thing happens when firewalls on both machines are disabled. I have uninstalled other potential blocking software (MacAfee). It seems to be an access problem, but I cxan't work out why.

Been up since 5am this morning trying to fix this and it's driving me mad - please help!
Many thanks...

hari001 08:27 30 Dec 2008

Hi,

Jimmy

[url=click here]New Cars[/url]

<a href=click here>New Cars</a>

ambra4 09:16 30 Dec 2008
  dawood 15:30 30 Dec 2008

I think you have enabled password protected file sharing on Vista click here , check to see any configuration error.

If you don't like username and password protection for file sharing, you can change it to simple file sharing click here and test again.

San Alwigi 17:06 31 Dec 2008

dawood - followed the advice given on the link you posted and hey presto, it's all working perfectly.

Thanks too Ambra4, but didn't get around to using your advice.

Happy New Year to everyone.

I love this website. Just as well I launched it in June 2000 ;)

Cheers,

San Alwigi

ambra4 01:44 01 Jan 2009

Tick box and click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?