Laptop C Drive Full (Vista)

tammer 14:21 20 Nov 2009

Hi,

My girlfriend has a Samsung R60 Laptop with a 65Gb hard drive (I think).

The disk has been partitioned into two roughly equal parts (the C and D drives). The trouble is that Vista and various other program files use up almost all of the space on the C drive, but there is still 10gb free in the D drive.

We managed to move a lot of pictures / music etc to the D drive and that helped but Itunes updated itself and is now installed on both the C and D drives.

I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. The full C drive means that it runs slowly.

Ideally I would remove Itunes from the C drive, freeing a bit of space but not much.

I would like to resize the partitions so that the C is about 5gb larger than it is at present.

I've had a look at various articles online about resizing the partition and it appears you can shrink a partition but it's not easy to expand one.

Can anyone help?

keef66 15:25 20 Nov 2009

Have a look at giveawayoftheday.com

You can download Easeus partition manager pro free today. Hurry though, you don't have many hours left to download, install and activate it.

Last time they were giving it away I got it onto all the pc's at home. Particularly useful on son's laptop which had the HDD partitioned 50:50

tammer 18:15 20 Nov 2009

Nice one.

I'll download that and see if it does the trick.

canarieslover 18:39 20 Nov 2009

If you are to use any partitiong software with the disk that full then your data will be greatly at risk. You really do need to copy the contents of the D: drive to an external drive before doing a re-partition. Also to free up space on the C: drive do a disk clean-up, Start Menu, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Clean-up. This will delete unnecessary files to free up room on the drive and there is also another Tab that enables you to delete all System Restore points except the most recent. Only use that if the machine seems to be running O.K. You will probably free up quite a lot of space like this.

GaT7 18:59 20 Nov 2009

canarieslover is right on both counts.

Old System Restore & Hibernation files could be hogging a considerable amount of space, & Disk Cleanup click here should take care of this. Choose the option to clean 'Files from all users on this computer'.

After the cleanup, consider lowering the amount of space used by System Restore & also switching off the Hibernation function altogether. G

woodchip 19:03 20 Nov 2009

Best way, I have done it is buy a Bigger Hard Drive and external USB caddy to fit the drive in the Clone the Old Drive to the new one then swap the drives over the old one then becomes a storage usb drive

tammer 11:29 10 Jan 2010

Thanks all. We've sorted it out now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone