Laptop buying advice and basic questions

simmo09 16:14 27 Mar 2008

ive normally used desktop pcs but am looking to replace my current Dell Dimension E520 for a laptop. A few basic questions i would like answering thanks.

Firstly, why are the processors lower speeds? Typical desktop's seem to be above 2.6Ghz (mine is 3.06Ghz Intel Celeron C Duo), yet most laptops i look at only seem to be around 1.8Ghz. Do they not need to be as high as a desktop?

Second, rather dumb question really can i still use a mouse, gamepas and other USB connections?

Finally, what would be a good price for what im looking for? I would require something along the lines minimum of:

RAM:
1GB

CPU:
As long as it can handle the latest games, multi-tasking, photoshop etc

Hard Drive:
150GB

Drives:
1 DVD Writer

Bluetooth - (can you get integrated?)

Wireless

OS: Not important, got my good 'ol XP disk, far better then crappy vista!

Price Range: Not sure what i could get for around that spec (NEW), id be looking to spend around £400, please reccomend some cheap sites with good offers.

Many questions i hope to be answered cheers.

simmo09 16:16 27 Mar 2008

forgot to add a good GFX card for latest gaming too

MAJ 16:24 27 Mar 2008

"RAM: 1GB"
Not good enough for Vista.

"CPU:As long as it can handle the latest games, multi-tasking, photoshop etc"

More RAM and a better CPU needed than you'll probably get for £400, especially to play the latest games well (when also including a better graphics card).

"OS: Not important, got my good 'ol XP disk, far better then crappy vista!"

The OS is important as you might not be able to get XP drivers for the laptop, especially the SATA hard drive, which it probably will have installed.

simmo09 16:25 27 Mar 2008

So far i have looked at these:

1: click here

2: (a few on the 1 page) click here

3: (inspiron 1721) click here

and am not totally sure if the price is good, bargain, rip off etc?

I most add it should have a decent size/clear monitor for gaming, image editing etc.

Cheers

skidzy 16:38 27 Mar 2008

Looking for a new laptop...the list is endless,however to play the latest games,you really need to look in the £500 bracket and upwards.

Some here for starters,but do check your games first and the spec needed. click here

Dell offer very reasonable prices with excellent service...and thats speaking from experience.

As Maj says,you need 2GB for vista to run effectively,look for something Core2duo/dual core cpu's

Vista offers directx 10,xp does not...well not yet anyway.

You maybe limited in the graphics department though....do your research first.

Do not go and buy a machine and find that your games will not play because the machine is under spec.

simmo09 16:46 27 Mar 2008

"The OS is important as you might not be able to get XP drivers for the laptop, especially the SATA hard drive, which it probably will have installed."
is there a workaround so i know i could use XP? i really dont want to go back on vista if i can.

"Vista offers directx 10,xp does not...well not yet anyway."
Yes, but i think DX10 doesnt support some old games (i still like the classics) which i find vista no good for, oldies dont work on it. As long as i can play games like GTA, Fifa, Halo, Assasins creed etc that would be ok.

Thanks so far :)

Woolwell 16:57 27 Mar 2008

You can still get some laptops with XP. Have a look at Misco for example.

simmo09 17:01 27 Mar 2008

thanks for the site, having a look now.

also:

> is there a difference in a laptop/notebook? or is it just the name?

> are the parts easily upgradable like a desktop, or are the fixed?

> whats the main difference in a laptop/desktop apart from the obvious, size?

Cheers

Woolwell 17:04 27 Mar 2008

You can still get some laptops with XP. Have a look at Misco for example. But I don't think that you'll get the CPU, RAM or graphics (a lot have onboard/shared graphics) for the latest games at £400.

Why do you want a laptop instead of a desktop? I think that you generally get more power for the price with a desktop.

AL47 17:05 27 Mar 2008

you wont get a laptop to play the latest games for anywhere near £400

skidzy 17:07 27 Mar 2008

"is there a difference in a laptop/notebook? or is it just the name? "

Basically the same thing.

"are the parts easily upgradable like a desktop, or are the fixed?"

No,im afraid you are pretty much stuck with the factory hardware,exceptions are the ram can be upgraded to more or less,graphics you are stuck with as with the cpu...though these can be changed but rarely needed if you buy dual core/core2duo.

If for example the motherboard failed on the laptop,its normally cheaper to buy a new laptop than repairing it.

"whats the main difference in a laptop/desktop apart from the obvious, size"

You get a lot more for your money with a desktop than a laptop and easily upgraded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?