Laptop Broadband

Barrykneeshaw 14:14 04 Aug 2009

I have home Broadband for my desktop which my laptop happily connects to wirelessly.
I am considering mobile Broadband with the same supplier but wonder if the two would conflict. If I'm at home I wouldn't want to use up Pay As You Go credit when I get it on my Home Broadband at no extra cost. Any advice?
I wouldn't mind online gaming on the mobile broadband either but does this count as downloads or is it just browsing? In other words, is this prohibitively expensive?
I connected my mobile phone (different supplier) to my laptop and managed to connect to the Internet! Cost me £10 for 5 minutes. is there an alternative. Apologies for length. Am exploring possibilities. Thanks.

woodchip 14:25 04 Aug 2009

No you can use both at the same time as they are different Networks. That is if you can get a good Mobile Connection, I take it by Mobile you mean something like 3 or a T-Mobile Dongle

woodchip 14:27 04 Aug 2009

Downloads include Everything on your Monitor when you connect including Adverts. Games are not a option with a Dongle. You also have a strict limit on how much you can download. It was on TV other day that going over can put you strait into Overheads of £200 for just going over, it depends on the Server you choose to go with

Barrykneeshaw 14:56 04 Aug 2009

Sad, but not important about the gaming option.
When i connected my mobile phone 2 the laptop and got online (I was surprised) I used Nokia PC Suite. I did go into a well known online game and it played equally as well as via Home Broadband! Why did this work? Surely my bog standard phone doesn't work at broadband speeds? I have no extra phone options...

woodchip 18:01 04 Aug 2009

no idea, but I think that BB dongle also does not have as good coverage as Mobile Phone

woodchip 18:03 04 Aug 2009

Not just that but running a Dongle for games etc would go strait over you Gig Cap, you would then be paying big, big, time

Barrykneeshaw 18:51 05 Aug 2009

Thank you, Woodchip. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?