Laptop boots with black screen

donovan.keters 21:55 19 Dec 2013

Hello,

Yesterday I updated my graphic card drivers. I rebooted, everything was ok, but suddonly my screen flashed, and went black. I forced a shutdown, and when starting up it starts my screen backlight, but I have no display (not even a bios screen). After a while I can see my pc has booted since I can enable my caps lock and shutdown via command, but my screen stays blanc.

so far I have tryed to remove the battery, remove the power, hold the power button for 30 - 60 sec, remove the ram and reset the cmos but nothing seems to help... :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:19 20 Dec 2013

also try cycling through the fn+ whichever f key switches to external monitor (FN+F5 for my toshiba)

wait several seconds between each press to see if the screen come on.

donovan.keters 10:40 20 Dec 2013

Thanks for the fast replys! I have tryed to connect my spare monitor, but it receives no signal. Cycling with the fn keys to switch monitors also results in nothing.. I cant boot to safe mode since I cant see anything on my screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:26 20 Dec 2013

I cant boot to safe mode since I cant see anything on my screen.

Reboot and keep tapping F8 as it starts hopefully it will boot to the tools menu with basic drivers.

Select system restore from the menu and restore to a time before the updates were installed.

donovan.keters 11:44 20 Dec 2013

ok i'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks

donovan.keters 14:56 20 Dec 2013

Tryed, but after 5 minutes of tapping f8 it still showed a blanc screen :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 20 Dec 2013

I assume you have info on the laptop you need to retrieve before we try anything drastic :0)

You could try booting from a live linux CD this will allow you to access the drive and copy any files or folders to USB .

Because this is using linux drivers the windows drivers you are having a problem with should not affect it.

woodchip 16:53 20 Dec 2013

I think that the Graphics Driver Update as pushed your Graphics card over the edge in Resolution, hence no signal

donovan.keters 11:37 21 Dec 2013

I need to recover nothing so drastic sollutions are welcome :P

Any sollution to reset the drivers thats pushed the card over its max resolution?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:38 21 Dec 2013

Yes a linux CD is useful for emergencies nd costs nothing.

In this case it will prove the hardware in the laptop is working OK and then we can concentrate on getting the drivers reset (normally done by boting to safemode / system restore using the F8 key).

Do you have or can you borrow a windows DVD for your system (vista 7 or 8?)?

donovan.keters 08:01 23 Dec 2013

I'll give it a shot with a linux cd this evening. Again, thanks for the help so far :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?