Laptop boot problem

Shodi 18:23 07 Sep 2009

I have just bought a second hand laptop which has developed a problem.

After being shut down for a long period, say overnight eg, it will not boot up i press the power button but nothing happens, however if I remove and replace the battery it boots up no problem at all.

can anyone help solve this problem?

mooly 19:17 07 Sep 2009

Might be the "CMOS" backup battery playing up. Is the date and time correct if you disconnect the main battery and AC adapter overnight.
Other problems might even be "physical" such as an intermittant or cracked PCB print around the AC adapter socket. What if you power it off at night (while running on AC mains), unplug the adapter but dont disturb anything. Will it power up then next day ?
It could be many things.
Have you removed the battery and held the power button for 20 seconds or so to "reset" the logic by discharging any capacitors.

Shodi 19:25 07 Sep 2009

Hi we run the laptop on ac mains at all times, home use only. but to boot up we now need to remove and replace the battery, just as simple as that like out and straight back in. strange but will try anything. think son tried the reset method but I will do it right now and see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for replying

Tam

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:16 07 Sep 2009

If you run on mains only leave the battery out, a dud battery will drag down the power and cause your booting problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone