Laptop boot failure

Baffer 19:36 28 May 2007

My Hi-Grade laptop (6 years old) fails to boot up. On power-up, the CD indicator lights up, the screen goes to white/grey, but the hard drive indicator doesn't come on. Pressing various buttons and function keys does nothing. Is this is a hard disk failure?
I backed up my data two weeks ago, however I have one recent file I would like to recover-is this still possible.
Hope someone may be able to help.
Thanks
Baffer

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:52 28 May 2007

It sounds like an HD failure. Can you check the HD just to make sure that it is firmly in place and not loose and also check that the memory is correctly seated. Are you using 98 or XP. Which ever you can download a boot disk from click here and see if you can start the computer. If you cannot, post back but it could be an HD failure.

G

johndrew 19:53 28 May 2007

The only suggestion I can make is for you to check the power and data connectors to the HDD and motherboard. Failing this working (I presume you have tried using F8 for Safe Mode?) you could try to get a boot disk and see if your HDD shows up in BIOS. If not I fear the HDD may have failed.

Baffer 20:45 28 May 2007

GANDALF and johndrew,
Thanks for your suggestions. I have removed and replaced the HD several times, checking the connections for soundness. I have just tried to restart my Laptop with a recovery CD in the drive, but nothing has changed - the screen still remains white/grey.
I had not tried to see where the connectors are located on the mother board as I don't want to take the Laptop apart just yet as this is supposed to be rather difficult.

Baffer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017