Laptop black screen but laptop still running

FA95 23:06 28 Apr 2017

Hello guys, I have a bit of a long story to tell you which i'm finding is very weird.

I bought a new PC around 8 months ago. Before 1 month or less, I started getting this issue where my PC (while playing games) would suddenly turn black and be unresponsive, ALTHOUGH I can still hear everything in the background (such as people talking on mics and videos..etc).

So I decided to rollback the graphics driver hoping it would be the issue, it stayed for a couple of days perfectly then started getting the issue again.

I downloaded a program called OCCT and ran a test which gave me an error 6 seconds in saying "CPU #3 (sometimes changes number) over maximum value". Searching online again says it means I need a better cooler ((which is still weird)).

So I decided to clean the laptop using air cans (the fans) and opening it from behind to brush off dust. I barely found any dust / or dust coming out of fans. I turned the laptop on after and still got black screen.

For the last test, I hooked an HDMI to my TV using the laptop and didn't encounter a black screen (for around 2-3 hours), so I decided to unhook the HDMI cable and as soon as I do that, my laptop get's a black screen!! (keep in mind I was duplicating the laptop screen to TV so both TV and laptop had picture).

I find this problem very weird and have booked it for a repair (unfortunately lost the warranty too). So I decided to post this to see if anyone might have a clue on what the actual problem could be. I'm clueless.

Thanks for reading.

wee eddie 23:28 28 Apr 2017

First things first. Assuming that you bought it new, within the first year you have some legal rights which don't depend on a piece of paper.

FA95 23:36 28 Apr 2017

@wee eddie

Thanks for the reply! I tried speaking to them but they said if you do not have the receipt / proof of purchase , your warranty becomes null and void. Sad to there from a big company

wee eddie 23:45 28 Apr 2017

First things first. Assuming that you bought it new, within the first year you have some legal rights which don't depend on a piece of paper.

wee eddie 23:47 28 Apr 2017

Sorry about the duplicate post. Fault on my phone.

How did you pay for it?

FA95 14:57 29 Apr 2017

@wee eddie using a credit card

wee eddie 15:02 29 Apr 2017

Then you have sufficient "Proof of Purchase" to activate the Warranty.

They cannot evade that unless you have broken the Terms in any way.

FA95 15:42 29 Apr 2017

@wee eddie Thanks again for your generosity for trying to help me out, I really appreciate it! The thing is, It will just say paid X amount on that day, I don't think that will be sufficient enough. I am actually chatting with them at this time to see if it suffice.

wee eddie 16:06 29 Apr 2017

Usually, at their end, the amount will attach to an Invoice which will specify the product bought.

I don't know which country you are in but, I think that that is a legal requirement these days. They may, of course, try to get out of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires