Laptop battery while using power adapter

SteevScotland 19:03 31 Mar 2004

I have just got a new laptop and I've heard that using the laptop with the power adapter can damage the battery. Is this true? If so is it safe to use the laptop without the battery?

Cheers S

computernerdiamnot 19:18 31 Mar 2004

HI steevscotland

The answer is yes. When you first use your laptop charge the batt when the batt is full unplug and use laptop until the batt icon tells you to plug back in. You do this about three times charge and dis-charge this conditions the batery for opt performance. When you injtend not to move the laptop undo battery when fully charged (turn of laptop first) and run from the mains. constantly running from mains with batt attached will shorten the life of the batt.

SteevScotland 19:33 31 Mar 2004

so I ca use the laptop withought a battery? will this not damagethe laptop?

cheers S

Djohn 19:46 31 Mar 2004

computernerdiamnot's advice is good and will not harm your Laptop. j.

computernerdiamnot 19:47 31 Mar 2004

You can use the laptop without the batt attached and it will not do any damage where as if you run the laptop with the batt connected when the batt is fully charged on a continous basis you will damage the batt. Rule of thumb if the laptop is mostly on your desk then take of batt once it is charged. and when you are going to take it out with you put batt in a little time before and just top up charge but as i said before it is safe.

computernerdiamnot 19:50 31 Mar 2004

Look in your manuel it should tell you what i have told you plus it will tell you how to condition the batt as it is very important to do so. A laptop battery does not have a long life and by conditioning it will make it serve you well..

Djohn 19:55 31 Mar 2004

click here is a good site to read all about your Laptop battery. j.

SteevScotland 21:25 31 Mar 2004

Thanks for the advice. I'm running without the battery now. My manual did tell me about conditioning the battery but not about damaging it by using it when the power is plugged in.

Cheers S

kingussie 22:11 31 Mar 2004

djohn thanks for the link. I was doing the wronnnng thing

Djohn 22:14 31 Mar 2004

Pleased your sorted!

kingussie. Your welcome. It was from a link provided by one of our forum members in another thread. j.

computernerdiamnot 23:44 31 Mar 2004

that link was very helpful i hope steevscotland is confident now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?