Laptop Battery test

wrg 11:07 15 Dec 2007

Is it possible to test you laptop battery. I have just got my wife's laptop back because the battery was not charging. I have ran it down 7% and got the message telling me it was low. I put the power supply back in and the battery light started showing it was charging (ie the battery bar rising up). It is now at 8% and says charging but has been at this stage for over half an hour. How can I check it is actually charging?

anchor 11:18 15 Dec 2007

Half an hour is`nt that long. Leave it for about 4 hrs and see what you get then.

How old is the battery?.

wrg 11:23 15 Dec 2007

It should be a new. If not because the reason it was not charging was because of the power supply then it is 10 months old. It has since risen to 9% since my post. Thanks for your repsonse

wrg 10:53 17 Dec 2007

Thought you might be interested to know that I got the message "battery 10% plugged in not charging" again which is why I sent it back. I got pretty annoyed at this point so I rang the people to whom it was returned twice, once for the battery problem and then for cock up by them. Anyway the guy on the other end of the line got me to turn off the computer, take the battery out take out the power supply push the power button down for 30 seconds. I then had to put the power supply back in then the battery. When powered up low and behold it showed 100% charged. The guy said that sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and the reason it showed not charging was beacuse it was fully charged.

anchor 16:20 17 Dec 2007

Thanks for the response. It may be a handy tip for others who have the same problem.

wrg 16:23 17 Dec 2007

Thought it might.

sunny staines 16:24 17 Dec 2007

good tip, what make laptop was it?

wrg 16:26 17 Dec 2007

Dell Inspiron 1501

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires